Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ode to Childhood.

The sway of the willow branches


The Great old willow tree swayed carelessly in the back yard of Aunt Thelma and Uncle Howards' House. I am sure that as a baby, I looked at the tree when my parents would walk me out back, but my first memories were as a little girl running barefoot in the shade of the giants' branches. Beside the tree was a little stream. In my mind, it was a fairy tale garden. I envisioned unicorns galloping through the yard, and I was princess Colleen, basking in the glory of the willows sweeping limbs. Year after year, I went back to visit my birth state of Pennsylvania where that beautiful tree was strongly rooted in Aunt Thelma and Uncle Howards' yard. As my Aunt and Uncle began to change through time, this beautiful willow remained steadfast. The limbs swayed through the various seasons in life, only to change by getting new leaves each season. Their gentle grace and beauty was under shadowed by their strong, and sprawling roots. It is rare that one sees a downed limb from a willow tree.

This willow tree was a grounding symbol for me, and one that I excitedly went to whenever I visited my family. I longed to adapt the traits of the willow, and learn to sway with the seasons of life, shed my leaves as needed, and embrace new growth. I longed to root my soul, and drink from the waters of knowledge. Now, as an adult... My favorite tree is still a willow. I often stop while cycling, or running and just simply watch them.

There is certainly the tie to innocence, childhood, family, and my beloved Aunt Thelma and Uncle Howard to the lure of the Willow Tree, but the meaning of the tree has taken on a life of its' own in my book of life.

I hope we all continue to sway through the seasons, grow fresh leaves, and nourish our roots with new experiences and knowledge in this life.
Slainte!

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is...WOW! Girl, you are such a blessing!!! And just soooo great.

    One thing that really grabbed me, though (and made me a little teary-eyed. hehe.) is: "I longed to adapt the traits of the willow, and learn to sway with the seasons of life, shed my leaves as needed, and embrace new growth."

    I have to agree absolutely entirely.....!

    Thanks, girl! <3

    ReplyDelete