Saturday, May 1, 2010

Need.

What do we really need?

After a recent and freakish snow storm, (Global warming, what??) We lost all power. When I say we lost all power, I mean no water, no heat, and no electricity. With two feet of fresh slushy wet snow outside and a "balmy" temperature of 32, I began wondering why I needed these "comforts"?

We had plenty of candles. My handsome love and I found body heat to keep us toasty warm in bed, and we purchased water at the store. A gym membership allowed us to shower, and pour flushing DOES work. My dog did not seem to mind... and the cat just enjoyed snuggling that much more...Bread does not spoil, nor does peanut butter.

Head lamps provided excellent indoor navigational abilities, and their was always lots to talk about. Upon the third day of waking with no power, I looked out the bed room window and exhaled. My breath felt chilled, and my arms and hands felt numb. Ten thousand Vermonters were experiencing the same thing. Then, I felt a thankful heart, that we had shelter.. a roof over our heads. We had peace. No bombs. No crying children. No gun fire. That morning we joined several other cold Vermonters at a local bakery. The tables were full of families eating warm meals, and drinking hot tea.. Everyone was a cold and dark shelter at night.. But everyone was still together.

Children were not crying, and mothers were not stressed. Although clothing was disheveled, and everyone look un-showered, smiles were present. What joy.

Then the lights went on.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I have started checking out your blog, girl..... once again, you are SUCH a blessing, and have a great way with words....!

    BIG hugs, prayers & <3!

    ReplyDelete